Updated March 24, 2020
Following the lead of state and county officials and in an abundance of caution for the health and safety of our guests, zoo team, and animals, Potter Park Zoo is temporarily closing to the public as of Saturday, March 14, 2020 and plans to reopen Tuesday, April 14, 2020. This is a fluid situation that we are monitoring closely and we will provide updates as necessary.
Essential staff such as the animal care and maintenance teams will continue providing care to the Potter Park Zoo animals and infrastructure.
For the safety of our guests and zoo team, the following events and programs have been canceled:
- All outreach programs, including “Zoo in Your Neighborhood” programs scheduled through April 6, 2020
- Operation of our volunteer program, including education volunteers, until further notice
- The fundraising event hosted by the SciFiles scheduled for March 14, 2020
- The membership pop-up event scheduled for March 21, 2020
- The FALCONERS event scheduled for March 21, 2020
- FrogWatch training sessions scheduled for March 21 and 22, 2020
By closing now we will enable our staff to focus on providing quality care for our animals and maintenance to the zoo.
We have also taken the following precautionary steps:
- Additional hand sanitizer stations have been placed throughout the zoo
- Proper hand washing technique graphics posted in all restrooms
- Advised staff to stay home when not feeling well
- Increased cleaning of all touch points throughout the zoo, including employee work stations, bathrooms and other high traffic areas
As always, the welfare of visitors, staff, and animals remains our top priority. We will continue to monitor this situation and provide updates as they become available. Stay up to date by following our social media platforms and check the Potter Park Zoo Blog at www.potterparkzoo.org.